The University of Aberdeen, in collaboration with the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie program, is inviting applications for Early Stage Researchers Fellowships lasting 3 years starting in September 2019. These fellowships are awarded for ground- breaking research on how political concepts emerge and are used in the world.
Founded in 1495, Aberdeen is Scotland’s third oldest University and the fifth oldest in the UK. Ranked within the world top 140 in the recent QS global league table, Aberdeen is the ‘global University of the north’. The University has over 14,000 matriculated students and 3,600 staff representing 120 nationalities. We encourage bold thinking, creativity and innovation and we nurture ambition with many opportunities for professional and personal development in an inclusive learning environment which challenges, inspires and helps every individual to reach their full potential.
Positions are available to pursue PhD program.
Field of Study:
Positions are awarded for ground-breaking research on how political concepts, such as citizenship, civil society and rule of law, are used in the world.
Salary will be £26,489.40 per annum. ESRs will be employed by the University on a salary of £26,075 per annum, and will be eligible for a range of additional benefits including ample travel and research funding.
All EU countries.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Candidates are required to meet the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Early Stage Researcher eligibility criteria. In particular, at the time of the appointment candidates must have had less than 4 years full-time equivalent research experience and must not have already obtained a PhD. Additionally, they must not have resided in the UK for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the appointment.
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject or equivalent (or due to complete by Saturday 1 September 2019)
- Equivalent of UK First Class Honours degree
- English IELTS Level 6.5 or above
- Be in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of your research career and have not been awarded a PhD by the application closing
- Must not have resided in the UK for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the appointment.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants are required to have English IELTS Level 6.5 or above.
Applying procedure Instructions:
Online application forms are available at www.abdn.ac.uk/jobs. In addition to the application form you must upload the following documents:
- Letter of intent (between 400 and 600 words excluding address) – Give a clear account of your motivation for applying. What attracts you to the POLITICO program, and what can you offer to the program? Please indicate possible supervisors from the pool listed above. You are also encouraged to say whether and how your project relates to one or more of the 14 indicative fields listed above.
- Doctoral Research Proposal (between 900 and 1100 words excluding references) – Give a full, clear account of your proposed research. Clearly identify your proposed research topic, make clear what you think the significance of the research is, including its relevance to scholarly debates, and ensure you reflect on what data/sources you will need to gather, what methods you will need to use, and what ethical issues if any the research raises (following appointment successful applicants will submit their proposal to the University’s Ethics Board.)
- Curriculum vitae (no more than 3 pages with no less than 12 point type) – Include your educational history, including any honours and fellowships, as well as your record of scholarly presentations and any publications (whether academic or non-academic).
- Degree certificate for Bachelor and Master’s degrees.
- Academic transcripts for Bachelor and Master’s degrees (with certified translations if the originals are not in English).
- Two letters of reference, at least one of which should be from an academic, preferably your Masters dissertation supervisor.
- Proof of English proficiency (if you are not a native speaker) and of any language required for proposed research. Please complete the attached Research Ethics Questionnaire.
- Please refer to the attached Research Ethics Policy document for guidance
Scholarship Official Web Links:
Online Application: ◄–
Scholarship Link: ◄–
January 20, 2019.