Funded by the Japan Student Services Association (JASSO), the program is open to students from all around the world who are accepted under a student exchange agreement between TU and its partner institutions outside Japan.
Tohoku University is proud to offer the TU Research-Oriented Incoming Student (ROIS) Scholarship to qualified overseas graduate students.
Tohoku University provides international students with the opportunity to study in specialized domains by providing graduate courses in English, as well as in Japanese.
Established in 1907 as Japan’s third national university, Tohoku University (TU) is proud to be ranked among Japan’s leading universities.
Postgraduate degree program.
Field of Study:
Postgraduate degree in any subject at the university.
Tohoku University offers reduction or exemption of tuition fees for students in financial difficulty.
Candidates are accepted form all around the globe.
The eligibility criteria are as follows;
- Applicants must fulfill all qualifications:
1) Applicants must be enrolled as regular graduate students in a home institution that has a university or department-level student exchange agreement with TU and will continue as candidates for degrees at their home institution after studying at Tohoku.
2) Applicants must be majoring in some field of natural science.
3) The applicants’ study period at TU must be more than or equal to 10 days and should not exceed 12 months
4) Applicants must fulfill all qualifications listed in the “JASSO Scholarship Eligibility Conditions”.
- Consult with the prospective academic adviser at TU if the applicant’s home institution doesn’t have a student exchange agreement with TU
- Excluding the Pre-Education period at Tohoku.
- Excluding days on which the applicants enter/leave Japan
Applying procedure Instructions:
The following application guidance is intended for candidates who wish to apply for the scholarships:
- If you wish to enter a graduate school, you should first look for a course that interests you and an instructor in your preferred field.
- Applicants must be approved to enroll in one of the following departments at TU as Special Research Students or Short-term Visiting Trainees:
- Graduate School of Science / Graduate School of Medicine / Graduate School of Dentistry /
- Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences / Graduate School of Engineering /
- Graduate School of Agricultural Science / Graduate School of Information Sciences /
- Graduate School of Life Sciences / Graduate School of Environmental Studies /
- Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
- Submit all application materials required for a prospective academic adviser at Tohoku University. Direct applications from applicants to the Student Exchange Division at TU will not be accepted.
- Application qualifications, requirements, procedures and application period vary depending on each graduate school.
- All courses have a minimum English language proficiency requirement which can be met through study, employment or an approved English language test.
Scholarship Official Web Links:
The application deadline depends on the TU department in which the applicants will enroll.