EIT Food& University of Turin is providing a Free Online Course on Superfoods: Myths and Truths. This course will be developing your critical abilities, you will also evaluate the impact of the superfood phenomenon on society and the economy.
On this course, you will learn about the definition of a ‘superfood’. You will consider the biological, neuroscientific and social aspects of superfoods. This course will start on January 14, 2019.
Course At a Glance:
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 3 hours pw
Institution: EIT Food& University of Turin
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $59
Session: Course Starts on January 14, 2019
The University of Turin is one of the largest and most prestigious Italian universities, with about 70,000 students, 4,000 employees, and 1,800 research fellows, encompassing all academic sectors.
About This Course:
This course is for anyone interested in diet, psychology, health and ‘superfoods’. You don’t need any previous experience.
- What is a superfood?
- Are superfood different from functional foods and nutraceuticals?
- How can we critically evaluate superfoods and their role in our diet?
- Are there dangers connected to superfoods intake?
- Can superfoods have a role in special diets?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explain what the “superfood” label means
- Describe the role of superfoods and their alternatives in a healthy diet
- Compare nutritional values of “superfoods” and some of their alternatives
- Reflect on the social aspects of superfoods production
- Describe some mechanisms through which superfoods can be beneficial for our health
- Dr. David Field: He is an Associate Professor at the University of Reading, UK.
- Micha Janiak: He is a food chemist, specialized in antioxidants from plant-based foods.
- Alessandro Cicerale: He is a research fellow and lecturer at the University of Torino, Italy.
How To Join This Course:
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, the applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).