The China Scholarship Council (CSC) is inviting applications for joint scholarship program to students who want to do PhD research at Leiden University, either full-time or as a visiting researcher. Scholarships are available for Chinese students.
Leiden University is an internationally operating research-driven university with a wide range of academic disciplines and degree programs. It aims for excellence in all its research and teaching.
Scholarships are available to students who want to do PhD research at Leiden University, either full-time or as a visiting researcher.
Field of Study:
Scholarships are awarded in the fields of Archaeology, Humanities, Medicine/LUMC, Governance and Global Affairs, Law, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Science, Interfacultair Centrum voor Lerarenopleiding, Onderwijsontwikkeling en Nascholing (ICLON), African Studies Centre, International Institute for Asian Studies
The scholarship includes:
- Exemption from registration fee and tuition/bench fee
- Living allowance of € 1,200 per month (including health insurance)
- Return ticket (to/from The Netherlands)
Scholarships are available for Chinese students.
- Be citizens of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application.
- Have a Master’s degree.
- Be under the age of 35.
- Meet the academic entry requirements of the relevant graduate school.
- Have a high level of English language proficiency.
See the graduate school website for required language test scores.
- Have a letter of acceptance for a PhD program at Leiden University.
- Satisfy the CSC selection criteria by completing the CSC Application Form and the CSC Employer Reference Form.
English Language Requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Applying procedure Instructions:
- Find a PhD position and supervisor at Leiden University.
Visit the website of the relevant graduate school for details of how to do so.
- Once you have found a PhD position and supervisor, apply for admission to a PhD program at the graduate school in question.
- After admission, ask your supervisor to write an acceptance letter using one of the formats below. The letter must be signed and written on university letterhead paper:
- Acceptance letter format full PhD study (48 months)
- Acceptance letter format visiting PhD researcher (6-12 months)
- Science faculty candidates only: Your PhD supervisor (promotor) must send a copy of your acceptance letter to the Graduate School of Science (gsoffice-at-science.leidenuniv.nl) by 22 February 2019.
Candidates for all other faculties: Your PhD supervisor (promotor) must send a copy of your acceptance letter to the Scholarships Team (scholarships-at-sea.leidenuniv.nl) by 1 March 2019.
- Between 10 March and 31 March 2019: Apply for the CSC-LU scholarship via the CSC website. You must include your letter of acceptance, a copy of your supervisor’s CV and a research proposal in the application.
Scholarship Official Web Links:
Scholarship Link: ◄–
Leiden University deadline: February 22, 2019 (Science faculty) and March 1, 2019 (all other faculties) / CSC deadline: between 10 and March 31, 2019.